Jasper Marion Gillmore was born on Sept 21, 1868 in Louisiana. His parents are unknown at this time. He married Vashti Stella McMillan on 03 Dec 1893 in Brazos County, Texas. He was involved in a gun fight at the Bohemia Hall in Bryan, Texas and was shot and killed by Anton Merka. Merka went to trial but said it was self defense and the case was dismissed. You can read the article HERE. He is buried in Robert M Henry Cemetery.
Vashti Stella McMillan was born on 17 Feb 1873 in Brazos, Texas. Brazos County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas in the Central Texas region. Brazoria County, Brazos is named for the Brazos River, which forms its western border. Vashti parents were George Reed McMillan (son of James Frank McMillan and Margaret Jane Henry) and Ann Jane Henry (daughter of Robert Miller Henry and Jane Catherwood). Vashti father, George, died when she was only twelve years old and is buried in Robert M. Henry Cemetery. Vashti and Jasper Marion Gillmore were married on 03 Dec 1893 in Brazos, Texas. They had a few children that died as infants or before 5 years old. All together they had fifteen children but nine of the children survived until adulthood. Rumor has it that her husband (Jasper M. Gillmore) was a cattle rancher and was a womanizer. Vashti would get upset because he would come home and get her pregnant then leave again. She worked on her home farm in Limestone, Texas. Jasper Marion Gillmore died on 27 May 1917 in Kirk, Limestone, Texas. He was involved in a gun fight and was killed. Their son Jessie William Gillmore (a bachelor) lived with Vashti on her farm in Limestone, Texas. Vashti also took care of her daughter Beatrice Laola Gillmore Hale children after she and her husband died of tuberculosis. Vashti died on 11 Mar 1961 in Brazos, Texas and is buried with her husband Jasper Marion Gillmore in Robert M. Henry Cemetery.
📌Jasper Marion Gillmore and Vashti McMillan Children:
1. Baby Boy Gillmore (1894 – 1894) died as an infant
2. Baby Girl Gillmore (1894 – 1894) died as and infant
3. Bester Marion Gillmore was born on Sept 17, 1895 in Brazos County, Texas. He was drafted during World War I on Jun 5, 1917. Bester married Lillie McDonald, daughter of Jacob W. and Clara McDonald, on Dec 19, 1920 in Brazos County, Texas. They had three children; Marion, Lavern and William "Billie" Gale Gillmore.
4. Camille Gillmore (1897 – 1897) died as an infant
5. Aubrey Gertrude Gillmore was born on June 15, 1898 un Brazos County, Texas. She married Johnnie "Jack" Edward Welch,Sr, son of Jessie G Welch and Mary Sowells, on October 27, 1919 in Brazos County, Texas. They had three children; Mary Gertrude (Sheppard), Jesse Jasper and Jack Edward Welch, Jr. After husband Jack died, Aubrey re-married Archibald "Art" Lafayette Smith. She died on Feb 14, 1980 and is buried at Bryan City Cemetery.
6. Marie Irene "Ree" Gillmore was born on 13 Jan 1899 in Brazos, Texas. When she was 20, She married Jim G. Welch Sr, son of Jessie G Welch and Mary Sowells, on 13 Apr 1919 in Kirk, Limestone, Texas. They had three children; Jewell Marie, Jimmie G. and Gladys Marie Welch. Marie died on 25 Jan 1986 and is buried at Kirk Cemetery in Limestone, Texas.
7. Beatrice Laola Gillmore was born on Jan 1, 1902 in Brazos County, Texas. She married Carley Douglas Hale, son of Stephen Douglas Hale and Lenora Belle West, on Nov 11,1921 in Mart, Texas. They had three children; Clifton Melvin, Carlee Juanita and Verna Mae Hale. Beatrice was only 35 when she died of Tuberculosis and is buried in Kirk Cemetery. Her children went to live with their grandparents.
8. Pauline Gillmore was born on Jun 7, 1904 in Brazos County, Texas. She married Rosco Garrett Knowles, son of Rollie Roscoe Knowles and Laura Belle Ward. Pauline was shot and killed. She died on March 9, 1935 and is buried at Bryan City Cemetery.
9. Jessie William Gillmore was born on Oct 4, 1906 in Brazos County, Texas. He was a bachelor and never married. He lived with his mother Vashti doing farm work. He died of a heart attack on Aug 10, 1961 in Brazos County, Texas. Jessie is buried in the Henry Cemetery.
10. Vivian Virginia Gillmore was born on Jan 10, 1908 in Brazos County, Texas. She married William Earl Smith, son of Elias Harlan Smith and Lula A Harlan, on Jan 13, 1939 in Groesbeck, Limestone, Texas. They had two children; Earl David and Thomas Harlan Smith. She died on Feb 28, 1993 in Groesbeck, Texas and is buried at Fort Parker Memorial Park.
11. Opal Mae Gillmore was born on Jan 9, 1909 Brazos County, Texas. She married Thomas Watson Johnson, son of Robert Lamar Johnson and Sarah B. Moody, on July 29, 1929 in Brazos County, Texas. They had three children; Corita, Becky Letrice and Orbra Ray Johnson. Opal died on 21 Jun 1999 in McLennan, Texas and is buried at Prairie Hill Cemetery.
12. Napolian Gillmore (1910 – 1910) died as an infant
13. Andrew Shelborn Gillmore was born on Aug 11, 1911 in Brazos County, Texas. He married Dora Lee Oliver, daughter of James Lafayette Oliver and Ruby Mabel Hudson, on May 17, 1932 in Brazos, Texas. Andrew died on 29 May 1986 in McLennan, Texas and is buried in Kirk Cemetery.
14. Inez Jane Gillmore was born on 05 May 1913 in Brazos County, Texas. Her twin brother was Rance. She died on 14 Dec 1917 at the age of 4 of acute tonsillitis.
15. Rance Gillmore was born on 05 May 1913 in Brazos County, Texas. He and his twin sister died on 14 Dec 1917 at the age of 4 of acute tonsillitis. They are buried at the Henry Cemetery.