William Luther Tynes and his twin brother John Hastle were born on December 4, 1829, their father, Timothy, was 41 and their mother, (UNKNOWN) who was supposedly Indian, was 34. He worked as a Black Smith and then later a preacher. William married Caroline Rachel Compton, daughter of James Frazier Compton and Julia A Sowerhaven. William and Caroline had seven children together. After Caroline died, William married his second wife Mary Ann Dillard (previously married to Alexander Baker) on June 19, 1880, in Nacogdoches, Texas. They were only married for a short peiod of time. William died on July 6, 1906, in Nacogdoches, Texas, having lived a long life of 76 years, and was buried there.
Genealogist Valerie Fields Harris lists both Mary Ann Dillard Baker and Caroline R. Compton as William Luther Tynes's first wife. Valerie also states that his marriage to Mary Ann Baker : (Mary Ann Dillard) ended in divorce. From somewhere (source unfortunately not noted), I have a marriage date of 19 June 1880 for Luther Tynes and Mary Ann Baker; this would therefore be William Luther's second marriage, a year after the death of his first wife Caroline. It was also eight days after the 1880 census was taken in William Luther's district, where he is listed as a widow.
"M. A. Tines" appears on the 1900 census, one page away from her stepson Calvin Dee Tynes and in the same precinct as her ex-husband William Luther Tynes. She is living with her son Alexander Lee Baker and his family. Her marital status is listed as widowed, not divorced, even though William Luther was still alive.
1. Mary Frances Tynes was born on April 1, 1851 in Wilcox, Alabama. Mary died on June 7, 1851 in Nacogdoches, Texas at the age of 4. Mary is buried in Swift Cemetery.
2. Samuel J Tynes "Little Uncle" was born on Dec 15, 1852 in Wilcox Alabama. Samuel married Josephine Flossie Slawson on Jan 28, 1880 in Webster, Louisiana. They had 1 daughter Ida Jane Tynes (Gillis/Crawford). Samuel died on May 21, 1901 in Nacogdoches, Texas and is buried in Swift Cemetery.
3. John Frank Tynes was born on Feb 12, 1855 in Wilcox, Alabama. John worked in Louisiana at a sawmill. John married is first wife Emily Ford, daughter of Thomas William Ford and Eveline "Abaline Abbie" Carnline, on Aug 18, 1879 in Sabine, Louisiana. They had five children: Laura, Debbie, Emma Rilla, John Calvin "Jack" and William Walter Tynes. Emily died in childbirth to son William Walter Tynes in 1889. John Frank left their five children with Emily's brother, Milton and Delfina Ford and moved to Texas, where he became a cotton farmer. There he met and married Sarah Ann Dorsey. He married Sarah "Sallie" Ann Dorsey on Dec 18, 1889 in Callahan, Texas. Sallie was the daughter of Joseph Michael Dorsey and Susan Ann Dennis. John Frank and Sallie had seven children together; Claude, Ora Cordelia, William Henry, Byron Barney, Mamie June and John David Tynes, Sr. John Frank and Sallie moved the family to Socorro County, New Mexico then to Arizona. Family history said John left to avoid reprisal from kinfolk of a man he had killed in a fair Knife fight at a dance hall. Both sides of John Frank Tynes family tell this story - the only difference is the reason for the fight and the dates it happened. Jewel Hunt tells the story that he killed the man for insulting a barefoot girl at a dance hall in 1885. Emma Tynes Crager said he was defending the honor of a girl at a dance and it happened in 1889. John Frank Tynes died on September 24, 1936 in Tucson, Arizona and is buried in Evergreen Memorial Park.
4. Mary Laura Elizabeth Tynes was born on April 10, 1857 in Nacogdoches, Texas. Laura married John Calvin Judd, son of Hamilton Brown Judd and Nancy Jane O'Dell, on Nov 10, 1880 in Nacogdoches, Texas. Laura and John Calvin had three children; Frank Leander, John Samuel and Maggie Elizabeth Judd. Laura died on Dec 16, 1944 in Tyler Texas. She is buried in Swift Cemetery.
5. Henry R. Tynes was born on September 4, 1861, in Nacogdoches, Texas, his father, William, was 31 and his mother, Caroline, was 31. He had four brothers and two sisters. He died on July 16, 1862, in his hometown: Nacogdoches, Texas, within a year of his birth, and was buried in Swift Cemetery.
6. Calvin Dee Tynes was born on Dec 15, 1863 in Nacogdoches, Texas. Calvin married Sophronia Annie Walker, daughter of Ezekial William Walker and Sarah Ann Bryant, on Feb 6, 1889 in Nacgdoches, Texas. Calvin and Sophronia had seven children; Della A, Bailey "babe" Edgar, Luther William, Alton Dee (Senior), Buel Calvin, Joseph Ford and Clarence Burean Tynes. Calvin worked as a farmer and on a mill until he died at the age of 42. Calvin is buried in Price Cemetery in Shelby, Texas.
7. William Wiley Tynes was born on May 10, 1872 in Nacogdoches, Texas. William was often referred by his initials "W.W" He married Samantha Elizabeth Crawford on Oct 12, 1895 in Nacogdoches, Texas. William and Samantha had five children; Eva Jane, Martha Caroline, Marvin M., Minnie Viola and Oscar Leander Tynes. William Wiley died on August 10, 1942, in Center, Texas, at the age of 70, and was buried in Nacogdoches, Texas in the Old North Church Yard Cemetery.